European roulette is not just restricted to Monte Carlo, you will find this popular casino game all over the world, and more importantly, at Intertops Casino! We love European roulette (all types of roulette in fact), because of the thrill and excitement. Just watching that ball spin round the wheel gives us shivers down our spine.
Never played European roulette? Not to worry! This is one game you can get the hang of quickly, especially with our tips on how to play down below. We’ve even included a history of this popular online casino game, the different types of bets and some fun facts. Enjoy!
The basics of European Roulette
European roulette is not too dissimilar from American or French Roulette, and so can be pretty easy to get to grips with. It doesn’t matter if you’ve never played before, as beginners can win just as much as professionals. Here are the basics of the game, to get you started:
- The roulette table has 36 numbers, different groups of numbers, odds, evens, black, red and a green 0. You can place your bets on any of the sections on the table, depending on how lucky you are feeling.
- The dealer will wait for bets to be placed before spinning the roulette wheel, although you can still bet whilst the wheel is spinning. As soon as ‘No more bets’ is called, that is it! You can’t move or change your bet once it has been placed.
- The ball bounce up through the spinning wheel, landing on several numbers before choosing to stop. Once the wheel has stopped and the ball has settled, that is the winning number and color.
- The dealer will then place their marker on the table, wherever the winning number may be. All winning bets will be credited and the losing bets will be raked away, ready for the next spin of the wheel.
- There are many different types of bets you can place, from a solitary number to a certain group of numbers, or a color. The win amount all depends on the probability of the ball hitting your number, color or group.
We have many different European roulette games at Intertops Casino, some with slightly different rules. Have a play around and see which games suit you, on the free to play modes, before trying your luck with real money. Before you know it, you’ll be a pro at the roulette wheel!
The different types of European roulette bets
All roulette games have different types of bets and number groupings, depending on the wheel itself. As an example, American roulette has a 0 and a double 0, so this differs slightly from the single 0 of a European and French roulette wheel. Here are some of the types of bets you can place when playing online European roulette.
- Inside bets – These generally have larger payouts, because the odds of landing on an inside bet are smaller. A straight (or single) bet is when your chips are placed on just one number, and has the highest payout in roulette. Split is a common bet, which is when the chip is placed on two adjoining numbers. There is also the Street, Double Street, Corner, Basket, Trio and Top Line.
- Outside bets – These tend to have smaller payouts, but you have a much better chance of winning with an outside bet. Red or black is one of the most popular types of European roulette, which has a 50/50 chance of a winner! You also have odds and evens (same 50/50 chance), dozen bets, 1-18 (Manque), 19-36 (Passe), dozen bet, column bet and snake bets.
Phew! That’s a lot of different bets. Don’t worry though, when you play European roulette at Intertops Casino you’ll see all of the different bets, combinations and ways to win during the game. You’ll never have to memorize all of these! Although they’re quite fun to know.
The history of European Roulette
The first ever roulette game was played in France, back in the 18th Century! Roulette (meaning little wheel in French) quickly rose in popularity with all sorts of people, mainly rich Parisians. Many people believe it was based on a game made by Blaise Pascal, as far back as the 17th Century, although this version was very primitive.
The original roulette game was adapted several times, so that it had less of a house advantage, with the removal of the double zero. European roulette went from France, to Germany and then quickly spread throughout the rest of Europe and finally, America. The American casino owners decided to add the wheel onto the roulette table, to stop cheating devices being used by players (and other casino owners)!
Places such as Monte Carlo became thriving gambling hotspots, with roulette being one of the most popular games ever played! Even when other European countries banned gambling, people would flock to places such as Monte Carlo, to get their fix on the roulette wheel. Now, you don’t need to go further than your arm chair at home to play European roulette. We’ve kept all of the original sounds, senses and fun at Intertops Casino, and thrown them into our online roulette games!
4 Quick Facts about European roulette
We know you don’t have a lot of time; you want to get to the online roulette tables! However, we’ve got 4 quick facts about European roulette here, which are great for pub quizzes:
- European Roulette has far better odds than American roulette, because it doesn’t have the 00. They still have the same payouts though!
- European roulette has a house edge of just 2.7% which is a bit higher than the 3 card poker house edge of 2.3% – pretty good odds eh!
- Betting systems are used far and wide, especially with online roulette, although none have actually been proven to work (so far)!
- Finally, you can’t win roulette if you’re not playing. So why are you still reading? Go, go win some money at Intertops Casino!